Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What shaped my life





I was faced with many challenges in my life, but no obstacle was probably as effecting as poverty. Poverty basically shaped my childhood. I was always trying to find a home to stay in and Gloria would try her absolute hardest to pay the bills, but just couldn't. I wanted to help, but I just stayed positive and lived my life. Lucky for me, I had friends that helped me get out of poverty. Because of those friendly neighbors and friends my mom was able to get a job, and eventually got a place to call home.


I don't know what would of happened if I didn't stay with Frankie Walker, one of my mom's friends. His family gave me a new beginning. They taught me how to be genteel, how to play sports, and how to be serious with school work. I had never been taught manners because Mom never had the time to teach. Although when I was at the Walkers house they taught me how to be a gentleman. Mr. Walker got me interested in sports. I played basketball and football. Mr. Walker was always the coach. He lead us to national titles in basketball. In football we were decent. For school the Walkers gave me a totally new attitude about it. They taught to be serious in school and get outstanding grades. They also said with good grades will come super rewards. Basketball saved my life. If I never played a sport I wouldn't be were I was today. No NBA.


Since I was a beast when I played basketball, many pro teams were looking at me. When I got drafted by the Cavaliers I got tons of money. I wasn't poor anymore. It solved one of my most colossal issues, poverty. I couldn't believe what my life would be today if it weren't for the great sport of basketball.

1 comment: